This page offers an ever-growing list of the practical, application-oriented products created by the Exemplary Buildings Program (EBP). Each one contributes to the EBP model’s goal: eliminating the traditional cost trade-off between unit number and energy efficiency that has long forced developers of affordable housing to prioritize the housing crisis over the climate crisis.
But! One of the most important things to know is that the promising practices we’re so excited about are not just for “exemplary” buildings— they’re relevant to all buildings, and we’re just as eager about their potential to help build better affordable housing more generally.
We’re constantly gathering data, analyzing it, and learning how to refine our recommended specs, standards, and practices…so check back often!
EBP Design Guidelines
- Balanced Ventilation with Heat Recovery (Guidelines document v.1.1)
- Early Integrative Design (Guidelines document v.1.0).
- Solar Integration (Guidelines document v.1.0.3) and blank solar proforma template (please refer to the guidelines doc for step-by-step instructions on completing the template for your project)
- *Updated! Wall Assemblies (Guidelines document v.1.1)
- *New! Domestic Hot Water & Water Management (Guidelines document v.1.0) Charrette slides also available
EBP Technical Briefs
- Balanced Ventilation with Heat Recovery for Multifamily Housing
- High Performance CO2 Heat Pump Water Heaters for Multifamily Housing
Energy Studies and Case Studies from EBP Demonstration Projects (new construction)
- Hobson Place South
- North Lot
- Othello Square
Case Studies from Other Local Multifamily Affordable Housing (retrofits & new construction)
- Balanced Ventilation with Heat Recovery at Hoa Mai Garden
- Heat Pump Water Heater at Elizabeth James House
EBP Promising Practices Workshops
- Promising Practices in Balanced Ventilation with Heat Recovery (YouTube video of virtual workshop held on Dec. 3, 2020).
- Promising Practices in Early Integrative Design (YouTube video of virtual workshop held on Nov. 19, 2020)
- Promising Practices in Domestic Hot Water & Water Management (YouTube video of virtual workshop held on Nov. 12, 2020)
- Promising Practices in Solar Integration (YouTube video of virtual workshop held on Nov. 5, 2020)
- Promising Practices in Wall Assemblies (YouTube video of virtual workshop held on Oct. 15, 2020)
- State Energy Code Changes – 2021 WSEC (Slide deck from HDC’s 2022 Policy Summit)
- 2018/2021 Commercial Energy Code Impacts: Multifamily Building Development (Slide deck from NAIOPWA Sustainable Development Committee Energy Code Panel, June 2, 2022)
- Passive House Accelerator: Live Project Showcase (presentation on Hobson Place: PH Supportive Housing, March 16, 2022)
- Perspectives and Lessons Learned from the HDC Exemplary Buildings Program (Slide deck from Housing Washington Conference presentation, October 5, 2021)
- Guidelines on Air Tightness and Balanced Ventilation (Slide deck from EBP presentation to Seattle Building Enclosure Council November 19, 2020)
EBP Project Specifications
- Spec Sheet for our Phase I demonstration projects