This page offers an ever-growing list of the practical, application-oriented products created by the Exemplary Buildings Program (EBP). Each one contributes to the EBP model’s goal: eliminating the traditional cost trade-off between unit number and energy efficiency that has long forced developers of affordable housing to prioritize the housing crisis over the climate crisis.
But! One of the most important things to know is that the promising practices we’re so excited about are not just for “exemplary” buildings— they’re relevant to all buildings, and we’re just as eager about their potential to help build better affordable housing more generally.
We’re constantly gathering data, analyzing it, and learning how to refine our recommended specs, standards, and practices…so check back often!
EBP Design Guidelines
- Balanced Ventilation with Heat Recovery (Guidelines document v.1.1)
- Early Integrative Design (Guidelines document v.1.0).
- Solar Integration (Guidelines document v.1.0.3) and blank solar proforma template (please refer to the guidelines doc for step-by-step instructions on completing the template for your project)
- Wall Assemblies (Guidelines document v.1.0)
- Guidelines on Air Tightness and Balanced Ventilation (Slide deck from EBP presentation to Seattle Building Enclosure Council 11.19.2020)
- Domestic Hot Water & Water Management (Charrette slides; Guidelines document currently in preparation)
EBP Technical Briefs
- Balanced Ventilation with Heat Recovery for Multifamily Housing
- High Performance CO2 Heat Pump Water Heaters for Multifamily Housing
Energy Studies and Case Studies from EBP Demonstration Projects (new construction)
- Balanced Ventilation with Heat Recovery at Hobson Place South
- Energy Study on Hobson Place South
- Heat Pump Water Heater at Sawara
- Energy Study on Sawara
- Energy Study on Othello Square
Case Studies from Other Local Multifamily Affordable Housing (retrofits & new construction)
- Balanced Ventilation with Heat Recovery at Hoa Mai Garden
- Heat Pump Water Heater at Elizabeth James House
EBP Promising Practices Workshops
- Perspectives and Lessons Learned from the HDC Exemplary Buildings Program (Slide deck from Housing Washington Conference presentation, Oct. 5, 2021)
- Promising Practices in Balanced Ventilation with Heat Recovery (YouTube video of virtual workshop held on Dec. 3, 2020).
- Promising Practices in Early Integrative Design (YouTube video of virtual workshop held on Nov. 19, 2020)
- Promising Practices in Domestic Hot Water & Water Management (YouTube video of virtual workshop held on Nov. 12, 2020)
- Promising Practices in Solar Integration (YouTube video of virtual workshop held on Nov. 5, 2020)
- Promising Practices in Wall Assemblies (YouTube video of virtual workshop held on Oct. 15, 2020)
EBP Project Specifications
- Spec Sheet for our Phase I demonstration projects